| Prehistoric Scratchpad|
The building was a still a monastery and had its original frescos.
- Abbey was founded around 780 by a bishop of Chur.
- Frescos were painted in the early 9th Century.
- A church tower was added to the abbey church in the 10th century.
- In the 12th Century, the monostary changed to an abbey. It expanded and new frescos were painted or painted over the old ones.
- In 1499, the Swabian War began at the abbey, which eventually led to Switzerland's independence.
- It was made a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1983 because of its exceptionally well preserved Carolingian art.
The abbey is in Mustair, Graubunden.
St. John's Abbey Web PagesEdit
St. John's Abbey In the NewsEdit
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVhnv2tB3s8 - a nun's experience
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBVcZ4Ix9fg - all UNESCO sites in Switzerland
- https://goo.gl/maps/jebRuJRgbWJ2 (chapel interior)
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.