| Prehistoric Scratchpad|
The church was in general disrepair, with the center of Armenian Christianity being elsewhere.
- The original church as built around 302 by Armenia's patron saint Gregory the Illuminator following the adoption of Christianity as a state religion by King Tiridates III. It replaced a pre-existing temple.
- The core of the current building was build in 483 after the cathedral was severely damaged in a Persian invasion.
- The seat of the Catholicos was moved from here in the second half of the fifth century.
- The church was restored as catholicostate in 1441.
- During the Soviet era, it was the only church to not have been seized by the Communist government in Armenia.
- The church was listed as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 2000.
The church is presently the seat of the Catholicos.
Etchmiadzin Cathedral Web PagesEdit
Etchmiadzin Cathedral In the NewsEdit
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekJgxfopCsY "Everyone Prays at Holy Etchmiadzin"
- https://goo.gl/maps/ayfH5ySz5Zw (interior)
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.