| Prehistoric Scratchpad|
The mosque had recently been built and functioned as a Shiite mosque and a university.
- In 969, the Fatimids conquered Egypt, and then established Cairo.
- Construction on Al-Azhar Mosque began in 970, and the University was founded the same year by the Fatimids.
- In 1171, Saladin invaded the Fatimid caliphate and founded the Ayyubid dynasty and Abbasid Caliphate.
- In the 12 Century, Saladin converted Al-Azhar to a Shai'i'ite Sunni center of learning.
- In 1961, Al-Azhar was re-established as a university.
Al-Azhar Mosque Web PagesEdit
Al-Azhar Mosque In the NewsEdit
- https://goo.gl/maps/PbabtKBsDLL2 (Courtyard)
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.